Sunday 15 May 2005

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed

Admittedly, when I first tried haggis, all I could cope with was the table-spoon-sized, no-thank-you-portion of my childhood. I soon became a convert. These days, my week is not complete with out a visit to the Half-Way House (my spiritual local) for a dish of haggis, neeps and tatties.

Nevertheless, I can sympathise with those who squirm at the plethora of offal that constitutes a haggis:

1 sheep stomach
1 sheep liver
1 sheep heart
2 sheep lungs (called "lights" in Scotland)
1 sheep brain
(plus oats, spice etc)


While I do understand the reluctance to try this dish, I do not understand how any dislike can be so vehement as to translate into government law banning its importation or production.

In both the US and Japan, the consumption of sheep-lung is illegal (as is brain and stomach in some states of the US).
That sheep-lung is considered unfit for human consumption seems to stem from an age of rampant tuberculosis and less-than-rigorous farm hygiene. Health officials apparently feared that eating infected sheep-lung tissue might cause a human to contract the disease. These countries now enforce strict farming hygiene. Eradication of TB in these countries is almost complete. A little haggis will not hurt anyone. (Just wait for my rant on the ban of unpasteurised cheese in Australia!)

If you'd like to have a go, there are plenty of haggis recipes around (including some Americanised versions without the sheep's lung) or you could always buy a MacSween haggis like the rest of us.

Tips:
You must eat haggis with neeps (mashed turnips) and tatties (mashed potatoes) - it is plain wrong not to.
Gather a crowd of people around when you go to slice open the haggis - watching that little sucker give birth is better than Alien.

No comments: